Education in Canada

Immigration through education is a fairly common and long-proven way to settle in Canada. Of course, the education pathway is not quick and not cheap, but it is reliable and quite popular. Obtaining an internationally recognized qualification in itself contributes greatly to personal and professional growth.
Benefits of education for immigration to Canada

If you compare the cost of education in Canada with the cost of education in other popular English-speaking countries (USA, UK), Canada offers lower prices for higher education programs, where you can sometimes save up to 50% or more. At the same time, the high quality of education and international recognition of Canadian degrees is a well-known fact.
You can study at Canadian universities and colleges at any age. Do not be ashamed if you are of a respectable age and your school years are long gone. In Canada, no one will look at a 30-40-year-old student, because adult education is the norm here.

An important factor for an international student is the ability to officially work while studying: up to 20 hours per week during term time and up to 40 hours per week during official vacations. Between November 15, 2022, and December 31, 2023, international students are allowed to work up to 40 hours per week (it is a temporary measure for those who applied or hold a study permit before October 7, 2022). Working part-time while studying is not only a way to earn extra money, but it also provides the opportunity to make connections and networks, which can help you find a job much faster after you graduate.

Opportunities for Student Family Members
Your partner is also eligible to apply for an Open Work Permit. Moreover, an invitation or contract from an employer is not required in this case. You can look for work in any field and work for any employer. This is a great help - being able to work and support your family financially is very important while you are adjusting to a new place. Children of international students can attend school for free until the end of high school.
Plus, with a Canadian diploma is much easier to find a job, because the employer knows what kind of diploma you show him, and the work experience gained during the study, will also help faster socialize and will be a great advantage in future employment.

Also note that Canada is a country of immigrants, which means that there are a lot of different accents, which, at times, are not easy to understand. During the study, there is a great opportunity to improve the level of spoken English / French, and to deal with a variety of accents, because the process of learning is a complete immersion in the language environment and interaction with representatives of cultures and peoples from all over the world. As a result, at the stage of employment, after receiving the diploma, a former student feels quite confident in his/her surroundings, and understands quite well the speech addressed to him/her, so he/she feels free in communication.

Also, in most cases, graduates already have an understanding of the Canadian job market, details of resume writing and positioning themselves in professional social networks.

Summing up the information above, we can conclude that the graduate is fully adapted, equipped with knowledge and skills, armed with the right documents and ready to move on to the cherished citizenship of Canada.
First, you need to choose a university and enroll in a program

This is a very important step because it is necessary to remember that an open work permit for graduates (Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)), is possible only on the basis of a diploma obtained from a university with DLI (designated learning institution) accreditation. Institutions are awarded this accreditation by provincial or territorial governments. If the institution is DLI, it has been assessed, evaluated, and is suitable for accepting and teaching international students.

We recommend that you pay attention to this important point and check with your advisor or school directly.

To apply to a college or university in Canada, you will need a very small package of documents. The good news is that you do not have to be nervous about the entrance exams - in most cases, there are no such exams for international students. The package of documents for admission in most cases includes: an IELTS Academic certificate/certificate of proficiency in French as proof of decent knowledge of the language and several translated documents on education and work experience.

Requirements of universities vary depending on the province or territory of the educational institution.

If you are concerned about what's better: college or university, let's be clear.
College means applied, hands-on learning. Many useful life skills will come in handy in the future.

In terms of cost: The very average figure is 16,000 CAD per year.
The cost depends on several factors:
  • College location (prices vary by province and territory)
  • the program focus (for example, business programs will be cheaper than technical ones)
  • the duration of the program.

Universities in Canada offer continuing education and degree programs. There is a solid academic base and a lot of theory and research. Finally, you can apply for higher and more responsible positions, especially after a master's degree.

Cost: Undergraduate programs tend to be more expensive than college programs. The cost per academic year starts at 18,000 CAD. Again, the price of the program directly depends on the location of the university, the program level, and the duration of the program.

So, you got into the university, then the next step is:
Collect and submit documents to apply for a Study Permit and apply for a student visa.

Important! A Study Permit can be issued only on the basis of a letter of admission from a recognized university (DLI).
Work while studying

If you go to a Canadian college or university, you can offset some of your expenses by working while studying. You can work up to 20 hours a week while you study and up to 40 hours a week during winter and summer vacation or spring break. In Canada, the minimum hourly wage varies from 11 to 16 Canadian dollars depending on the province or territory.

Note! Between November 15, 2022 and December 31, 2023, international students are allowed to work up to 40 hours per week (a temporary measure from Immigration Canada).
Official press-release from IRCC
Immigration through education

Education in Canada not only allows you to gain new knowledge and practical skills, improve your English to a fluent level, get to know the country and find new friends and future colleagues but also to build a future pathway to immigration or permanent resident status in Canada.

Upon completion of the program, under certain conditions, you will be eligible to apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit, which is valid for 1 to 3 years and allows you to work in any job without limitations on the number of hours you are allowed to work. Depending on the employment category of the National Occupational Classification a graduate after 12 months of continuous full-time work is eligible to apply for one of the immigration programs for permanent resident status.
Some provinces even have separate provincial immigration programs for recent graduates that do not require a work record, but only completion of a specific degree program (most often at the Master's level).

Immigration through education is a long and costly process for 3-5 years before obtaining PR status. But it also has many advantages, which we talked about earlier.
Study and graduation

It is entirely up to the student to get through this stage. We recommend that you study hard, complete projects and assignments on time, and never miss classes.

PGWP and moving toward Permanent Residence

The duration of your PGWP will depend on how many years your program of study lasted: if your program was shorter than 2 years, your PGWP will be the same as the duration of your program of study, but if your program of study was longer than 2 years, you may apply for a 3-year PGWP.

Finding an employer and getting a job in order to gain the necessary work experience.
Usually, you need 1-2 years of qualified work experience (NOC 0, A, B) to be eligible for most of the immigration programs.

You can then prepare the required application package for the Canadian Experience Class program through Express Entry or the provincial and pilot programs available to former students. Almost every province is interested in attracting students and retaining them.

Once you have become a Permanent Resident (and lived in Canada for 2-3 years) you can apply for citizenship.

An undoubted advantage of immigration through education is that Canada is interested in specialists with a local degree, with good English and already familiar with the culture and life of the country.

Both the educational system and visa stages are very well thought out and aimed at allowing foreign students to study and then successfully find a job and settle down in Canada permanently.

It is important to understand that an immigrant in Canada is not a second-class citizen, but one of the many educated and successful professionals who make Canada a second home and allow them to realize the potential that is often unclaimed in their country of origin.
Frequently Asked Questions

Getting an education in Canada is a responsible, long-term and expensive project, the quality preparation for which plays a critical role in the final result in the form of a diploma and further permanent resident status in Canada, and in future citizenship.

We work closely with Kiwi Education, an international educational agency that helps students from all over the world come to Canada to study. Professional educational consultants will help with the selection of educational institution and program of study, preparation of all documents for admission to college and payment for education program. On Kiwi Education's website, you can find the most common questions and answers about education in Canada, as well as submit a request for an educational consultation.

Learn more about Kiwi Education Canada here.
6500 Trans-Canada Hwy,
Suite 400, Pointe-Claire,
Montreal, QC, Canada

Calgary, AB
Nanaimo, BC
© 2024 Polar Bear Immigration
Polar Bear Immigration is managed by a licensed Canadian immigration consultant, Serge Ignatieff (RCIC# R528113) and strictly follows all requirements for processing and protecting the personal data of clients.

Privacy Policy

Contact Us

By working with us you get quality service with high professional standards and attention to each client